Who we are
We are a vibrant software development company in the heart of Oxford, working on greenfield projects for internationally renowned clients who have a large amount of interesting and valuable text. We have an open and collaborative culture, value learning from each other and experimenting with new approaches, and are looking for developers who share our creativity.
What we do
The majority of the work we do is for publishers, but we work on a wide variety of projects within that focus. For example, recent projects include:
- The award-winning primary digital delivery platform for a large publisher, delivering online research articles and books to hundreds of thousands of researchers, via a fleet of autoscaling servers following the 12-factor-app model and other components like lambdas in the AWS cloud. We designed and deployed the infrastructure via Terraform, wrote the database and application code in Java, and developed a Vue-based frontend. This lets researchers search for and read the latest research in their domains.
- A research project for a standards organization – using machine learning and natural language processing libraries to automatically identify which parts of a standard are requirements like “you must do this”, rather than background information. This means that those requirements can then be fed into other systems – for example, to produce a checklist of actions needed to comply with a standard.
- An editorial system for a pharmaceutical publisher, using Scala and Vue, helping a small group of expert editors enter structured semantic information about drugs and their interactions. This allows this drug information to be used by clinicians, and also allows it to be fed into healthcare systems.
- An enrichment and search application for a chemistry publisher that identifies chemicals and their synonyms, uses machine learning to recognize the subjects of articles, and then uses Elasticsearch so these articles can be searched by end users.
All these were greenfield projects, as the vast majority of our projects are. Everything we do is about solving real client problems, and that’s our focus.
Who we are looking for
We are looking for smart, friendly and enthusiastic people from all backgrounds who are looking for the opportunity to make a difference from day one. The right person has genuine interest in writing code well, enjoys working within a motivated team and has a good foundation in at least one of Java, Scala or C#. We care about writing good quality code that solves our clients’ problems, and we want people who care about the same thing.
Working at 67 Bricks
We are a vibrant, growing company focused on developing high quality data-driven information products. We achieve this through close collaboration with our clients to build a deep understanding of their needs and take an iterative approach to ensure we deliver fantastic software.
We care a lot about your personal development and growth, and we provide the opportunities and support necessary for this. We work on a wide variety of projects and use the appropriate technologies to solve problems, so you will be exposed to a range of different technologies and have the chance to learn about them. You will also have opportunities for growth into areas such as software architecture, research and development, and client relationship and team management. We provide the resources necessary to support this, such as subscriptions to Pluralsight and trips to conferences. As well as learning new technologies on projects, we also spend every Friday afternoon as a team discussing interesting development topics we’ve come across, sharing lessons from projects, and other topics that interest us, and sometimes we write these up on our blog.
Benefits of joining our team include:
- Flexible working including working from home
- 26 days holiday in addition to bank holidays
- Discretionary annual bonus, depending on company and personal performance
- Family-friendly culture with enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave policies
- Company pension scheme, matching contributions to 4%
- Based in the heart of Oxford, with great public transport connections and very close to shops and green spaces
- Friendly colleagues in a pleasant atmosphere – we have “Fruit and Veg Mondays”, Friday dev meetings with drinks, company events like escape room trips and board gaming, and great coffee!
- Interesting and challenging work – doing a variety of greenfield development projects to solve our clients’ problems, in an environment where good development practices such as automated testing, continuous deployment, code reviews, and infrastructure-as-code are valued.
The role of junior software developer is primarily focused on developing technical solutions to meet our clients’ needs. To do so, it is essential you understand the underlying business problem the software you are creating is attempting to solve.
- Work with colleagues to conduct research, analyse documentation and review requirements to understand the clients’ business problems
- Work with team members to propose technical solutions
- Produce estimates to deliver technical solutions
- Implement technical solutions
- Write automated tests
- Produce user and technical documentation
- Work with clients in meetings and calls to understand their problems and discuss solutions
- Be proactive at improving our internal processes and systems